RA Podcast #214 – Seeing Clearly

Jennifer’s New Glasses, Reading for Six Flags, Captain Underpants, Greg’s Lost His Scrabble Mojo, SQPN New Media Gathering, Where Did Captain Catechism Go?, Receiving the Eucharist if You’re Not Catholic. 206-984-1899 to leave feedback!

Links from this episode:

Music from this episode was “Alright” by Whitehouse from music.podshow.com

Click the Play Button to Listen:

Play

podcast

14 responses to “RA Podcast #214 – Seeing Clearly”

1. Capt Jeff says:

G&J,

I haven’t listened to this episode yet, so, if you’ve already covered this, sorry!

A couple of episodes back, there was a discussion about the Divine Office, or Liturgy of Hours. I need to let everyone know about a very cool, FREE online source for the entire Liturgy of Hours! It’s called “Universalis” and can be accessed by pointing your web browser to: http://www.universalis.com/. Okay, stop reading this comment, open a new tab, and go to the site. I’ll just wait here until you get back.

Alrightie, you’re back. It has Morning, Evening, and Night prayers, as well as the Office of Readings. Additionally, the daily Mass readings are available (from the Jerusalem Bible, due to copyright restrictions I guess). Confused about how to navigate the LOH? Not a problem! Universalis has already done it for you. You can even subscribe to their RSS feed (warning: geek alert!).

I hope you encourage everyone to check this out. I suspect that one reason people are reluctant to pray the hours is the price of the four volume set. Now, they have NO excuse! Did I mention it’s FREE?

2. Melissa says:

I really enjoyed episode #214 and the listener feedback regarding the “Jennifer Blues.” I admit I fell asleep halfway through that episode and missed what the Jennifer Blue’s was. No, you are not boring!! I manage two small kids ALL day until they go to bed at night. I try to listen to shows at night in bed on my iPod when my husband is snoring, but I end up falling asleep before the show I’m listening to is over. I’m working on that…..now I listen to your podcast during the day…..when the kids aren’t screaming of course.
    Thanks for sharing all the feedback from your listeners. We can all learn a lot from each other. And thanks Jennifer for sharing your true feelings about what it can be like to be a mom sometimes.

3. Dan says:

Good to hear from the Captain and his trusty sidekick!! Look!! In your hands!! It’s a bead! It’s a cross!! It’s the ROSARY!!

Just heard Greg’s scream,(there will be SILENCE!!), and my daughter started LAUGHING her head off!! “Their coming to take me away!! Ha HA!! HO! HO!! Hee! HEE!!!” (if she only knew!! :-)!!).

Bring back Capt Catechism!! BRING BACK CAPT. CATECHISM!!!!!

4. Don says:

During Mass today, as I watched people receiving Communion, I was thinking about what you talked about on the podcast — how as Catholics we beleive this IS the Most Sacred Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, and how it would be disrespectful of that belief and of our faith for those who don’t believe this to accept Communion.

That is what I really like about the podcasts. I get just a little more understanding of the Catholic faith from snippets like this. They really help me have a deeper understanding of the faith and a more enlightened relationship with God.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

5. Dave says:

Greg, I can completely relate to your Ninja Warrior problem. I too succumb to useless TV shows with no redeeming value what so ever, and the answer to your question of whether mind numbing entertainment like Ninja Warrior hurts your spiritual life is…….YES, Yes it does. As Fr. Scupoli states in Spiritual Combat the time is now, now, now. I started listening to Into the Deep podcast after hearing about it through SQPN. I am reading Scupoli’s book with my men’s group at my parish and listening to the podcasts on the book and I have to say Wow. It is amazing the insight Scupoli had on sin and the battle we face with it every day. Some of the chapters like the one pertaining to controlling our speech read like they are from a modern author, not from the 16th century. I highly recommend the book and the podcast.

Keep up the great work guys and Gals,
    Dave

6. Bianca says:

I thought this episode was interesting. I’ve never seen Ninja Warrior, but it doesn’t really sound like something I would watch, anyway.

Greg, I might just mark that spot where you pretend to yell, “There will be SILENCE!!!” It made me laugh so hard!!! I babysit my siblings a lot and they can be wild. Haven’t we all had this feeling every now and then?

Keep it up!
    Bianca

7. Kim in KY says:

Hi guys! Thanks for talking about receiving the Eucharist if you’re not where you need to be… I’ve been an ex-cradle Catholic for over 10 years, but my Mom thinks I should still go up and get communion the times I happen to accompany her to church. She’s not happy with me but I tell her that I doubt her priest would have the same opinion! 🙂 I may not agree with certain things within the Catholic church (yeah, you guys and SQPN are workin’ on that) but I certainly respect the ‘rules’, as it were…

Have a great week!

8. Randy says:

Greg,
    The comment you made about your brother receiving the Eucharist when knowing he has been away from the Church is something that is commonly heard. I often wonder If a person knows that the Eucharist is truly the body and blood of Christ and they feel the need to receive him, are we right in judging or denying that person Christ through the Eucharist?

9. Lora says:

A recurrent theme on the podcast (this episode included) is finding time for prayer. My experience is that if you ask God to help you find the time, he will answer this prayer and show you ways to fit prayer into your life. It is a prayer that he will always answer with a YES.

Since I have returned to the church, through the grace of God, I am almost always able to find time for daily mass and morning prayer, as well as other devotions, while still working full-time and doing lots of other activities. I ask the Lord to make it possible for me to be with him each day, and he answers by helping me to wake up early, reminding me to pray, etc. Praying in the car is another way that almost everyone can make the time, particularly those times when you are alone. Just turn off the radio and enjoy some quiet time with our Lord.

So ask God to magnify your time. You’ll be amazed at the result.

10. DMc says:

Sorry Nick, I submitted the…. intertwine pun. Beat you to it. I win! Admit it Greg. You got it from me. 🙂 Great podcast as usual. Thanks guys, DMc

11. Richard Emblem says:

Thanks for another great episode! On the subject of communion and the real presence you should perhaps be aware that quite a number of churches not “in communion with Rome” (Orthodox, Melkite, Anglo-Catholic Anglican/Episcopalian, Old Catholic, Society of St Pius X, Chinese Patriotic Association etc.) certainly believe in the real presence and accordingly their members would not feel any need to join the Roman Catholic church as Greg suggested.

12. Richard Emblem says:

What happened to my Response about communion – was it edited out?

13. Greg Willits says:

Richard – You left a response here? I never saw one.

Edit – Oops! I just looked in the spam folder and found about 10 comments that accidentally got sent there. Sorry about that to everyone who commented and didn’t see your post! We’ll keep a closer eye on that.

14. Richard Emblem says: